jueves, 18 de noviembre de 2010

Lang III - Letter to the Editor II

Dear Editor,
I'm writing to share my feelings towards the place I live in.
I live in Rosario City, downtown, only a few blocks away from hectic Cordoba Street, but my block is actually pretty quiet. There are schools, cyber-cafés and enough shops to buy anything you need, but the great thing about them is that they all shut down early in the afternoon, helping the atmosphere to achieve a nice, pleasant siesta mood.
My street is full of tall tress and that's why it is specially cool in summer afternoons. It's quite a picturesque place, crowded with nice colonial houses inhabited by very sweet and kind people. Very "fairy-tale-like", in fact.
However, at night, it's a different story. Insecurity has affected the whole of the city and my beloved place in the world has been no exception. If when the day is bright and shiny you would expect bumping into Little Red Riding Hood, when the sun goes dow, you're most likely to meet the wolf. This is because the street lightening does not work well; and no one seems willing to fix it! This is terrible because it helps criminals rob and go without much trouble. In the last five years, my neighbours have been victims of all types of crimes: pick-pocketing, burglaries, car theft, etc.,etc.
I can't say I don't like my neighbourhood - apart from insecurity there's not much else I can complain about - but I kinda want to live a peaceful life, you know, free of worries and fears. This is mainly why in the future, I would like to leave the neighbourhood, even the city perhaps. These decisions are difficult to make, but I must admit that I wouldn't go on living here, not for the world. I would move far, far away to a quieter and safer place.
Unfortunately, I have the feeling I'm not the only one who feels this way, perhaps other will share my views.
I hope that I can read about my peers' experience in this subject too.
Yours faithfully,
...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario